Sunday, July 6, 2008

Nicaragua





I have had a hard time processing/ articulating how I feel about what I saw in Nicaragua. We spent a few days with some families who live in Managua's municiple dump called "La Chureca". I came across this quote that was so fitting:

"Welcome to a land filled with contradictions: a trash dump filled with people, a hazardous wasteland surrounded by tropical paradise, and a dark place filled with beautiful light."

It was the saddest place I have ever been in yet at the same time I saw hope and joy. Overall the trip to Nicaragua was incredible and surprisingly a time of physical, spiritual and emotional healing. I do feel different being home and I hope that I don't loose that feeling.

3 comments:

We're The Christensons said...

awesome a-par! I wanna hear more about the trip... lets connect sometime soon man!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't even begin to imagine what a week in Nicaragua was like. Those pictures give a teeny tiny glimpse -- what beautiful people.
I was just thinking about you and Heather today and I know it's been waaay too long since we've been in touch but we miss you guys and hope to see you again soon!!!
p.s. baby Griffin is 12 weeks old now, can you believe it? he's sleeping 10-11 hours straight thru the night like a baby wise champ! samantha must be at least 5 months old or more? she is such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

Don't lose that feeling... isn't that the hard part when God gives us insight or epifanies. Good for you Tonedar! and thanks for calling the other day.

later,
Josh Cordell